Pietermaritzburg was founded in 1838. Known as one of the country’s prime tourist destinations thanks to its picturesque coastline and lush forests, Pietermaritzburg is located approximately 480 km south-east of Johannesburg and 77 km north-west of Durban. It is the capital and second-largest city in KwaZulu-Natal.
Adding to its charm is the fact that Pietermaritzburg is a city in the country, surrounded by forested hills and rolling pastures of the Natal Midlands. Pietermaritzburg is conveniently located near the Drakensberg and several game reserves.
Part of Pietermaritzburg’s colonial history can be found in the proud Old Colonial Building. This structure is a fantastic example of the late 19th century architecture that can still be seen in the city today. It has been located on Church Street since 1899 has been home to various government offices over the years. Right outside the Old Colonial Building is a bronze statue of activist Mahatma Gandhi, commemorating the 1893 incident when he was evicted from a first-class carriage at Pietermaritzburg railway station.
A Plumber is in charge of diagnosing, installing, repairing, and maintaining the plumbing systems that are used for gas, air, water distribution and disposal, including heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning units. A Plumber can work for a company or a contractor, or in another related field such as engineering, production, or services. Plumbers can also work on their own by being in charge of their own plumbing services / company.
The typical daily tasks of a Plumber can include:
· Installing plumbing systems and accessories, including residential appliances, plus HVAC systems
· Inspecting, testing, and repairing a building’s piping- and plumbing system
· Cleaning out drains and obstructions in waste and sewage pipes.
It’s all good and well to stretch those DIY muscles and take charge of certain household tasks such as fixing a table leg or painting a living room wall. However, there are some jobs that only a professional should be in charge of and these typically involve anything to do with electrical wiring and/or water pipes. If you still feel that you’d rather save money than hire a professional Plumber, keep the following in mind:
1. Personal safety: There’s a major difference between replacing a shower head and digging around inside your house’s walls to find out what’s causing a leak. For that type of task, rather let a professional take charge to avoid personal injury.
2. Permanent solutions: Professional Plumbers are well-trained and well-experienced, which is why they are able to provide long-term solutions when it comes to fixing plumbing problems.
3. Comprehensive plumbing services: Bringing a Plumber on board doesn’t just mean you have an expert to search for your plumbing problem. It also means having a reliable source for installing new pipes, replacing old ones, spotting blockages, repairing leaks, etc.
4. Emergency plumbing issues: Apart from extensive water damage, a serious plumbing issue can cause delays to your daily lifestyle. And if said plumbing problem occurs at two in the morning, it’s best to rely on a trained and experienced Plumber rather than attempting to find a solution yourself.
5. Detailed diagnosis: A professional Plumber in South Africa will provide you with a detailed diagnostic report to inform you what the actual reason was for your plumbing problem (i.e. a leaking pipe that was actually due to a huge blockage problem). Well-trained Plumbers know exactly where to check for existing problems and come up with suitable solutions.
6. Cost-efficient: When DIYing a plumbing issue, you’ll need to pay for the appropriate materials like sealant. And the longer it takes you to rectify that leaky toilet or faucet, the higher your water bill is pushed. A professional Plumber guarantees savings on your water bill, as they know how to repair leaks right from the start with the correct materials and tools they already possess.
7. Property protection: It’s unfathomable the type of damage a broken pipe can cause to a property. And seeing as we regular folk aren’t trained on how and where to look for plumbing issues, best let the professionals take care of the job to minimise damage and protect your property.
With homify, finding the ideal professional (from Plumbers and Roofers to Gardeners and Interior Decorators) for your project is much easier through our Professionals pages. Our collections include additional information on each pro, such as location, portfolio, contact details, and even customer reviews where applicable.
Simply select your city / town of choice from the list at the very bottom of the ‘Plumbers’ page, or type it into the ‘search’ bar.